Sunday, December 6, 2009

Getting Started

In many cases individuals in this blog will be listed with initials; sometimes Grandpa used initials himself. In order to preserve privacy when it counts, only initials will be used. As I go along, I may decide we need more or less use of initials rather than full names. Bear with me as I get started. The transcription is going to leave out dates w/ "no news" as grandpa put it, and things that really are totally unrelated to the family story or give no insight into grandpa's incredible character. For every day of his life that is captured in the diaries, grandpa recorded the weather, the day of the week and the date. See above for the code to weather.

Items in brackets [ ] will be my own additions or explanatory remarks. Items which grandpa underlined will be in Italics. I normally underline booktitles, so they too are in Italics; magazines, booklets, articles are usually in quotation marks. I can't use underlines as the blog format turns them into hotlinks. Sometimes grandpa's use of underlining is important to convey his attitude about the statement, so watch for Italics, other than book titles, they will always be his.

Items with the label General Info will be posts such as this, how-to use the blog, my explanations of how I am doing it, things like that. Actual data from the diaries and family info will have their own labels.

The first post will be grandpa's own introductory pages which he filled out in 1965 to give a "beginning" to his story. Then I will skip to the years of World War II as a Christmas 2009, gift to my brother, Kert VanderMeulen, who earned his Masters degree in Military History in 2008 and is very interested in the WWII era. Then we'll see where to go next!

IF YOU GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE AND SUBSCRIBE TO THE POSTS, YOU'LL RECEIVE A QUICK EMAIL AUTOMATICALLY WHEN NEW CONTENT IS ADDED TO THE BLOG! NO SPAM, NO NONSENSE, JUST A QUICKIE NOTE TO LET YOU KNOW I'VE BEEN WORKING! This utility isn't working the way we thought it would. If you subscribe to posts, at the bottom of each page of text, please let me know if you actually DO receive notification of a new post...we're still trying to figure out this aspect of Blogspot. THANKS!~

No comments:

Post a Comment